Jefferson’s favorite food bar none is sushi. If he had his way, we’d eat at our local sushi restaurant daily – breakfast, lunch & dinner. To avoid going bankrupt, we’ve started making sushi at home more often.
I promise it’s not rocket science. I avoided sushi making for years, fearing it would be too labour intensive, but in the end, I’ve found it’s anything but and lots of fun for kids to help with.
When I say ‘sushi’, I mean basic, sushi rolls. I haven’t ventured into any raw fish varieties, but I have found an amazing array of delicious veggie and meat based roles.
Try sweet potato, shredded carrots, cucumber, cooked cabbage, peppers, and of course, avocado, salmon, eggs, chicken, sausages – you really can’t go wrong.
Below is our adaptable recipe.
PS: Please share any sushi ideas you have on our FB page – I’d love to expand our homemade sushi repertoire!
Makes 4-6 sushi rolls
1 1/3 cups Short Grain Brown Rice
2 cups water
4 teaspoons Braggs Liquid Soy or GF Soy sauce
4 Tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
1.5 teaspoons melted honey
4-6 sheets roasted nori
2 ripe Avocados, pitted and sliced thinly
2 carrots, peeled and sliced thinly
1 cucumber, peeled and sliced thinly
2 cans sockeye salmon, drizzled with olive oil (for moisture) & mashed (or fresh grilled fish)
Bowl of water for wetting fingers
- Soak brown rice for 2-8 hours. (I throw mine in some water before work, then rinse and cook when I get home).
- Rinse rice well and bring to a boil with 2 cups water and 2 teaspoons soy sauce, then reduce heat to very low and simmer, tightly covered, until water is absorbed, about 40 minutes. Remove from heat and let rice stand, covered, 10 minutes.
- While rice is standing, stir together vinegar, honey and remaining 2 teaspoons soy sauce.
- Transfer rice to a wide non metal bowl or tray (wood, glass or ceramic) and sprinkle with vinegar mixture, tossing gently with a large spoon to combine. Cool rice about 15 minutes.
- Arrange 1 sheet nori, shiny side down, on a clean cutting board. Arrange rice onto the nori in 1 layer, leaving a 3/4 inch border on side farthest from you.
- Arrange 1-3 strips of cucumber in an even strip horizontally across rice, starting 1 inch from side nearest you. Arrange carrot strips just above cucumber in same manner. Add thin slices of avocado on top of cucumber, then arrange salmon above the carrot in same manner.
- Wet fingers and gentle dab across the upper 1 inch edge of nori sheet. Beginning with the opposite edge of nori (nearest you), lift the nori and roll upwards to meet the wet edge. Squeeze the roll gentle, slice with a sharp knife.
- Repeat & Serve!